The Gunstream Gazette

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Shout Out!

Yesterday was a crazy day in mommy world.  I tried to give Brinley some peanut butter on bread (I now know why they say to wait until she's two).  So here it was, the lunch time delimma of what to feed Brinley.  I got this crazy notion to try peanut butter on bread.  She took a finger and ran it through the peanut butter like it was icing then she continued to lick it off of the bread.  Before I knew it, about three minutes later, she started saying "OUCHY! OUCHY!" and rubbing her eyes like she was tired.  I was watching her and thought, "Maybe she is done and wants a nap."  So I started to wash off her hands only to see her whole face become blochy and broken out in hives.  


I didn't panic. YET.  

I tried calling Chad to tell him what was going on and couldn't reach him.  I then called my Pediatrician in Meridian to get their opinion.  The nurse called me back promptly and told me to give Brinley Benadryl but I didn't have any.  She told me the symptoms to watch for and that they would like to see Brinley.  I then told them that it would take at least a 1/2 hour to get to their office in Eagle.  She told me that would be too long and to see if the Benadryl would work before possibly taking her to ER.  Next, I called my mom to ask her what she thought about Brinley (thinking that she would have a good idea since my brother was allergic to peanuts "legumes" too).  She told me what she thought but also to call the Doctor and ask them some more questions.  I must have freaked her out because she came over to my house to check on Brinley immediately, within 10 minutes.  

Brinley was looking worse and her eyes were swelling and she acted like breathing was becoming harder so I got her to drink some water and call the Nampa Pediatrician that we see sometimes.  This is where I started to freak out... Their on-call nurse told me that I needed to stop all that I was doing, give Brinley the Zertek and that I had to bring her to ER right away.  I told that nurse, we can't afford an ER bill, would you be able to assess her instead?  That is when I got chewed out by the nurse that "it is your right as a parent to put your child's health above your fininancial situation."  and she went on to say to me "What kind of parent are you to not take your child to ER?"  

So at this point I was in tears and getting ready to load Brinley into the car when my mom showed up and helped calm me down.  I was still trying to get a hold of Chad, because I wanted his opinion, but I was unable to contact him.  

My mom, Brinley and I loaded up and went to the hospital.  Brinley and I went into the ER, not signing in yet, while I sent my mother across the street to the REC center to see if Chad was there working out.  

Luckily, Krista (my dear friend) was working there and helped clam me down also.  By the time Chad, and my mom got to the hospital Brinley was starting to act better and looked like some of the swelling was going down.

It is amazing how God's timing is perfect.  Looking back now, I'm glad that I had to be patient and it was hard to track Chad down.  That gave Brinley the time she needed to let the Zertek kick in and start working.  

So here is a shout out to all who helped me yesterday!  GOD, Chad, My Mom, nurse Jaime, Krista, Yolanda, and Vicki (2 ladies who work at MedNow with Krista).  Thanks also to my Dad who was praying.  Love you all!!

  

9 comments:

basil812 said...

Stephanie - I am so sorry you had that awful experience with the nurse! You are a great Mom & thinking about your financial situation does not make you a bad mom at all!

Shawna said...

Wow, what a day! I think I would have freaked out as well. God does have amazing timing! I have had to make a decision like that before...go to the ER at night or wait (and Pray) to go to the Dr. in the morning. I am glad that God saved you from having to go the ER...and the bill!
Hope Brinley is doing better!
Love ya!

Kristen said...

so thankful Brinley is okay.

Leah said...

I've had my fair share of going to the ER on the behest of the nurse. My baby was only 1 1/2 weeks old and came down with pinkeye. I spent from 8 pm until 3 am in the stupid ER with my baby who had to be nursed every three hours for them to tell me it was pinkeye. I despise the ER.

The nurses HAVE to advise you to go there, because they can't afford to tell you to take no action and be wrong. Regardless, the nurse who you talked to was a dullard. Hopefully, she'll learn some day to think before she speaks.

You handled the situation beautifully. You are a wonderful mom.

Krista said...

Steph, You were the most exciting part of my day (and I only say that because everything worked out just fine:)). You are a great Mom. By the way, I love the fact that you took a picure of Brinley in the midst of her hypersensitivity reaction... We are definitely first-time moms! I think you did everything just right. If you hadn't gone to the ER and she had gotten worse, you would never forgive yourself. Things like this really put life in perspective, don't they!

Kym said...

Ok, now when you sign her in to the nursery, please check the allergy box! No peanuts for that little lady! Praise God for his care in the midst of the chaos. He is wonderful. What a testimony to Him and love of family and friends. I am glad all worked out!

Sue and Don said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue and Don said...

Steph,
You are a wonderful mother, I'm very proud of you. Brinley is a very fortunate little girl to have such great parents who love her!
I remember the situation with Paul and I know how you felt, you handled it all very well inspite of your fears.
God was with you through it all! He was never out of control, He is faithful! I love you, Mom

zandyk said...

Oh Steph, that is so scary! I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm sorry that the nurse at the Dr's office was so rude to you too, that just make an awful situation worse. I'm so glad that Brinley is okay!