For Brinley's second birthday we decided to buy her a "big-girl-bed". We didn't have much money so I started watching craig's list and ended up with an antique scroll bed. I thought it was such a good find. For $35 I could just sand it down and restain it. Well it wasn't as easy as I thought it could be.
Here is a picture of the bed when I bought it:
I sanded it, and stained it and it turned out about the same. My dad suggested taking it into a place like Stone Lumber and asking them what they would do. They weren't much help but I decided I should strip it and sand it again and then stain it. So the process began all over again. This time it was a lot more tedious and a lot more sanding to try to get the circular sanding grooves out of the wood so it wouldn't have the dull look. After three weeks of working on the head board and footboard I finally finished this week and just had to wait until Chad and I had some time to take down the crib and set up the "big-girl-room".
Today we did it. I think it turned out okay. Brinley loved it and wanted to play on her bed as soon as it was made. When it came time to put her to bed she was so excited and stayed in her bed. She didn't get out or run out to see us. She stood up once and was trying to figure out how to get under the covers. So I put her back under the sheet and she said, "Leave Mommy, I love you!" I know that Chad and I need to knock on wood, but could it really be that easy?
Here is the finished product:
6 comments:
I think it looks great! What a find! The comforter is absolutely darling!
Nice job! It looks great!
Stephanie it looks GREAT! And, yes it can be that easy!! We were expecting a fuss from Grace but she settled in without any issues. I hope that the novelty of the big girl bed will perhaps make it so Brinley wants to nap better for you ;).
Great job! It looks wonderful! Brinley would be the type of kid to do it simply. She loves this getting big thing a lot :)
Super cute! Matthias is still in his crib and I hope that he never figures out how to climb out of it! I am not ready for a big boy bed yet! I Love how the room turned out and I love craigslist!
So cute! Good job.
Post a Comment