The Gunstream Gazette

Friday, August 29, 2008

Weekend Away

After two whole weeks of contemplating whether or not to take Brinley with us to Cascade for the weekend, we finally decided to leave her with our parents for the first time.  Last weekend, Chad and I were able to go to Cascade with some of the couples from our Sunday School class.  It was the first time we have ever left Brinley over night and not just one night but two non-the-less.  The first day and night was not that bad but by the time Saturday night and Sunday came I really started to miss our baby.  

I think that it helped to be with other people.  We had so many activities to do and games to play that it kept us pretty distracted.  We were able to play in Cascade Lake without running after our very active 14 month old.  We had borrowed jet skis and were both able to go out at the same time.  It was nice to not have any responsibilities (baby wise) during the weekend.  We were able to play games and not worry about putting Brinley down for naps, chasing after her, or worry about bedtime.  We actually were able to engage in conversations and remember all of what was said.  If it had just been Chad and I it would have been harder because we both would have thought about her and worried all weekend.  Then of course the thoughts about if we are bad parents for leaving her the first time for two days.  

To make matters better/worse (both depending on the view) when we went to pick Brinley up she was having so much fun playing that she wasn't even excited to see us.  She looked at us and then kept playing.  Chad and I were sort of hurt at first but then glad that she was comfortable being left with Grandma and Papa & Nana.  She has been great ever since and not as clingy as I thought she might be.  

This was a big step for Chad and I.  I think if we had waited much longer that we would have had a much harder time.


No comments: